Wednesday 9 December 2015

Phone Scams - be Aware


Phone scams seem to be a modern day scourge, affecting most of us.  A new one came to light recently when I was phoned by someone with an Indian accent called 'Alex', claiming to be from Claims Advisory Group, working for the UK Government.  I was informed I was due a cheque for £3,000 for overpaid bank or building society fees and asked me to confirm my name, date of birth and my bank as they wanted to write out a cheque for me, so I gave a false name, birth date and bank name.  He said his Manager would phone me the next day.

True to form, the next day the 'Manager' phoned me, though I'm sure it was 'Alex' who'd spoken to me the day before.  He again asked me to confirm my details, and again I confirmed the false ones.  He said their representative, 'Mr Robinson', was in my area and would call round with my cheque, and though they don't charge for their services, the representative did as he was independent.  His charge would be 10% and as my cheque was now £3600 then I'd need to pay him £360 when he called.

It was then I said I thought it very strange as I'd never had to pay for money that was owing to me, but if they'd kindly like to take the fee off my monies owing to me to save time, they could then post my cheque for £3240 through my letterbox.

'Alex' said 'forget it' ..... and hung up.

People - please be aware of phone calls like this.  Always be aware and never give personal details over the phone.  Genuine callers would never ask for personal details.

Stay safe.

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment