Tuesday 1 December 2015

Beefeater

... not the burger kind (or the gin)! (by Paul Abbot)

I have lived on Masefield Crescent for the last 16 years, however have lived in Abingdon since 1981 as it was my first posting after joining the RAF in 1980.  I served on 99 Squadron at RAF Brize Norton until March of this year when I heard of an opening at The Tower of London as a Yeoman Warder, commonly known as Beefeater.  The criteria is very strict for applicants, you must have held the rank of Warrant Officer in either of the three services, you must have completed at least 22 years service, I had done 35, and you need to have been awarded the Long Service & Good Conduct medal.

34 potential applicants applied which was short listed to 14 for interview, which included your partner as you were joining a village community within The Tower of London and it is important that your wife will embrace the obvious constraints that go with living within a walled community that gets locked up nightly at 10.00pm.

The 14 were reduced to 4 candidates for a second interview resulting in an offer for me to take up the post as of 1st May of this year.  I am now coming to the end of my probation period where I have had to learn the 'Tour' which is a one hour presentation from 1066 to present day, and having dropped History at school, a decision I now regret, I can safely say it has been a very steep learning curve.

We are now looking forward to life together in The Tower while our son Luke will have the run of our 'country Oxfordshire retreat'.

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment